Hair styling with a curling iron - one of the oldest ways to make a hairstyle. With this tool you can create curls, give volume, make the effect of "wet" hair. The main thing is to use the appliance correctly.
What it is?
Good styling starts with the “right” curling iron. Alas, those very metal tongs from childhood that are almost red-hot are no longer quoted today. There are many high-quality and safe electric appliances for styling on the market, which allow you to make not only curls, but also corrugations, to straighten hair, while minimizing their damage. They are durable, beautiful, they are convenient to take with you on trips.
When choosing a curling iron, you need to pay attention to:
- Materialfrom which the working surface is made - the one that comes in contact with the hair. Steel, the most inexpensive, will damage and dry them. Pay attention to curling irons with ceramics, titanium or tourmaline coating. They are more expensive, but will save you from a long hair restoration after styling.
- The functionality of the device. Ideally, if the curling iron "knows how" to automatically turn off if you forgot to unplug it from the outlet. It is very good if there is a choice of temperature modes - different hairstyles require different temperatures to create. In addition, this will protect the hair from excessive drying. A nice bonus is ionization. She gives obedience and brilliance to ringlets.
For those who do not deal with the curling iron often, experienced craftsmen are advised to purchase special thermal gloves - this will avoid burns to the hands. And you always need to remember that the tip of the curling iron does not usually heat up, so if you need to tweak the device or support it with your second hand, you need to do this just for the tip.
Pay attention to the quality of the cord and plug, especially at the connection points - safety depends on it.
Choice according to hairstyle
To create curls fit:
- Standard tongs. This is a curling iron of the usual form, in which the hair is wound on the surface and clamped. The diameter of the working surface must be selected according to the length of the strands. The shorter they are, the smaller the diameter.
- Cone-shaped. Such devices help create interesting forms of curls that seem to narrow downward. They are also convenient if you only need to slightly tighten the tips.
- Spiral-shaped. The hair in it is twisted into a spiral. Elastic curls are obtained, but the hair is not clamped on top.
- With multiple work surfaces. Such a device has two, or even three rods, on which hair is twisted in zigzags. It turns out an interesting effect of the "lion's mane." With such forceps you need to be able to handle, they require patience and leisurely work.
- For hair straightening, there are so-called curling irons. Such forceps will help to stretch the hair, perfectly smooth them and give volume to the roots. If corrugated nozzles come to them in a set, you can structure individual strands with them.
- Experienced craftsmen are able wind the hair for curling on the irons, as on a regular curling iron. This works well if the width of the surface of the ironing fits the length of the hair.
When choosing styling tongs, of course, it is important to understand for which hair and for what purpose it is needed. They can be used to curl, straighten or structure strands.
The most common curling iron diameter is 19 mm. It is suitable for most hairstyles and is considered the most universal, "giving out" an elastic and fairly tight curl. For short hair and hairstyles with small curls, you can choose options for devices with a diameter 16 or 10 mm. For medium-length hair, devices of 25 and 32 mm are often used - with them, pretty medium-sized curls are obtained. To create soft waves take a 38 mm curling iron. It is convenient to work with her whose hair at least reaches her shoulders. For long-haired girls, a curling iron 50 mm thick is suitable. It is convenient to twist the tips and make luxurious large curls.
Choosing a suitable curling iron, you need to take care of your own hair. Modern styling is unthinkable without thermal protectors. Pick up a thermal spray or styling fluid. It is desirable that it contains provitamins and other caring substances. Experts advise styling clean hair. When they are completely dry (preferably by natural means), carefully comb them with a comb with rare teeth and treat them with thermal protection, following the instructions on the package.
A curl wound on a curling iron should not be kept in it for longer than 20 seconds. This time is enough for the strand to take shape and not dry out. The appliance must also be removed correctly - the iron is simply gently pulled inward, and the curling iron is carefully removed to the side without pulling the hair down. If you have an old metal curling iron - 5-10 seconds will be enough for curls.
As for the styling temperature, personal experience will help best - after all, different hairs perceive temperature differently:
- It is believed that thin, brittle, colored hairs "will not survive" curls at a temperature more than 150 degrees.
- For normal hair, the curling iron can be heated to 180°.
- If the curls are stiff, naughty, and the hairs themselves are thick - you can try and 200°.
If you use an iron or other styler at maximum, keep in mind that you cannot use it every day. Maximum - 4 times a week. Hair definitely needs rest and restorative procedures - masks, rinsing with herbal decoctions, scalp massage.
After curling or straightening hair, it is undesirable to style it with a hairdryer. It is best to disassemble the curls with your hands and lay them with a comb, securing the locks with invisible or hairpins as needed.
If you have short hair, at home with a curling iron you can curl them in small curls or make a romantic hairstyle:
- To make curls a little demon, take the curling iron of the minimum diameter and in turn wind the strands on it, starting from the back of the head. After this, the hair can be collected under a bandage, a high rim or rim. If you walk along such curls with a comb, you can get the effect of "clouds".
- If you want a hairstyle in the spirit of "Hollywood 50s", note that the volume is shifted here - it is not on the back of the head, but on the bottom of the hairstyle and goes in a circle. Such a hairstyle will work well for the owners of the square. Hair is combed on a side or straight parting. Then they are wound on a curling iron, from the tips to about the level of the ears in elastic curls.
- If you want a more modern option with careless curls, use a larger curling iron and twist the hair not entirely, but skipping the strands. When removing the curling iron, pull the hair down slightly, forming not a curl, but a vertical wave.
For such a hairstyle, it would be nice to create volume from the inside, after drying hair with brashing.
- To add splendor to the roots and simply shape the tipsso that they twist slightly Use a thin iron. You need to grab the strands from the roots and smoothly, twisting with your hands, tuck the ends. Many hairdressers use corrugation nozzles to give root volume. For this you need to hold the lower strands at the roots with corrugated nozzles - they will add splendor.
For medium-length hair, there are many styling options:
- If you need to get a voluminous hairstyle, hair is wound on forceps from the very roots, starting from the back of the head. The thickness of the strand should not be more than 2.5 cm. Each curl, after it cools down, needs to be varnished - so the hairstyle will hold for a long time and will be more rigid - this will save volume.
- For soft wave-like styling it is worth combing the hair first and disassembling it parted in the way it will be ready-made. The strands are first pulled out with an iron so that they are smooth and shiny on top. And then, starting from the middle, they are wound on a curling iron of medium diameter. It is important that the curls are not small - so you get a smooth wave.
Owners of bangs can be twisted and her - a cone-shaped curling iron or just thin is useful here. In this form, the bangs can be left as is, stabbed back or to one side. Options, when the whole head is in curls, and the fringe is left straight, looks slightly unnatural.
Many are interested in how to make beautiful curls yourself at home. When the master winds the locks on the curling iron, everything seems very simple. But in reality there are a lot of nuances.
Surely many noticed that the curl in shape is round or more elongated. A round curl is made with a curling iron, which is held horizontally, parallel to the floor line. And if you hold the curling iron vertically, the curl will turn out to be more loose. To get perfectly round curls across, you need a spiral styler.
For long hair mass variations. For example, California curls, which we see so often in American cinema:
- For this, the bulk of the hair is pinned up, only the lower strands remain. They curl by winding onto a curling iron of a sufficiently large diameter.
- Each curl after cooling sprayed or varnish and a little disassembled by hand to give a natural look.
- Then another "portion" of hair is released and curled in the same way as the first row. So the whole hairstyle is wound until there is not a single straight hair. She will fall in a dense mass on her shoulders - it looks very impressive. True, it takes a lot of time, especially for those whose hair is long and thick.
You can try to "twist" the curls with an assistant in 4 hands - if only the diameter of the plates is the same.
For styling with "flagella", so that curls resemble springs, you can try a different way of curling. A thin strand of hair is separated, combed and twisted into a flagellum, not too tight. This flagellum is then wound around a closed curling iron and warmed up for 10-15 seconds. The thinner the harnesses, the better they will warm up, which means that they “grab” faster and last longer.
If you need to achieve the effect of a slightly stretched, relaxed "springs", proceed as follows:
- Screw a straight lock of hair (without twisting the tourniquet first) onto the closed curling iron from root to tip. Hair should be completely dry before winding. If there is moisture on the hair, it will simply evaporate, and the curl will not twist. If you apply thermal protection or fixing foam to the strands, the funds should be literally a little bit.
- Mentally need to divide your head into 3 parts - occiput, parietal zone and temporal parts. First, the nape curls, then the parietal zone, and then the lateral, temporal ones. For the convenience of dividing, a comb with a “tail” and hairdressing clips are useful.
- Usually for a curl, take a strand no wider than 5 cm. It is pre-combed and carried out with a curling iron from top to bottom, not twisting to warm the hair. It’s best not to touch the curl at all until it cools down. And even more so, you do not need to comb it. It will reduce all work to zero. This technique works only if you do not need curls, but volume - then you can walk through the curls with a brush when they cool.
- A fresh curl while you wind the rest of the hair is best clamped with a hairpin or invisibility so that it does not twitch in the process. At the end of the work, the clamps can be removed and disassembled locks with your hands.
- To fix the hairstyle, be sure to use varnish. Choose "your" product that does not weigh down the hair and does not make them stick together. To make the curls look natural and neat, it is recommended to apply spray varnish on them from a distance of 25-30 cm.
- To give the hair volume at the roots, you can make the comb a small comb. If you want the hairstyle to look slightly disheveled, before curling you need to blow dry your hair with a diffuser nozzle.
The following video will help you choose the right curling iron.