Camping cutlery: what are and how to choose?
Modern manufacturers of products for an active lifestyle have stepped far ahead compared to the last century. Today, in order to go on a hike, you don’t have to sacrifice comfort at all, limit yourself to something or carry a huge heavy backpack. Everything has become technological, light and convenient - clothes, equipment and even utensils. For example, camping cutlery is no longer weighty spoons and forks, but rather practical objects made of optimal materials. Consider the main types, features and rules for choosing cutlery for tourists.
First, let's talk about forks and spoons. We will consider the knives separately, since such an item requires a little more attention. Travel equipment can be classified into several categories. Products have certain functions, performed by domestic and foreign manufacturers of various materials.
Since it is extremely important to reduce the weight and quantity of equipment during the trip, all items should be as practical as possible. Therefore, often an ordinary spoon can be both a fork and an opener, and even a small knife. When choosing a multifunctional cutlery, remember that combination items usually have a number of disadvantages.
For example, even if there is a cutting side on the road fork on the side, you should not expect that it will replace you with a full knife. Of course, this is better than nothing. However, they are unlikely to succeed in chopping meat.
This parameter should be given special attention, since the weight, strength and practicality of tourist cutlery directly depends on it. Consider the best options.
- Titanium. If it is important for you that the device is as light as possible, but does not break at the most inopportune moment, then choose spoons and forks from titanium. Any climber or person who often travels with a backpack, certainly prefers this particular material.
- Plastic. Devices from these raw materials differ in minimum weight, low price, availability. This is a great option for people who go on not too long hikes. But plastic appliances have a number of disadvantages. In particular, such a material is very fragile. The appliance made of plastic is easily damaged during transportation or accidentally melted from hot dishes or fire. In addition, plastic is not the most environmentally friendly material.
Its cheap varieties can even be toxic, so be careful when choosing.
- Aluminum. Great for making tourist cutlery, as it has light weight, sufficient strength and low price. In addition, aluminum spoons and forks do not rust, which means that such devices will last you a long time.
- Stainless steel. Instruments made of this material are also durable and affordable. However, they will weigh quite a lot, especially when compared with aluminum or plastic products. If this indicator is not too important for you, feel free to choose spoons and forks from the "stainless steel".
However, one must remember that they can cost more than plastic.
Most often, camping items are sold immediately in a set. They can be connected with each other with a special carabiner, are equipped with a plastic case or textile case. More expensive items are presented in stores separately. Devices can be folding or full-size.
Today it is quite easy to find high-quality road equipment of Russian, German and many other companies. We list a few specific brands that you should pay attention to.
- MSR This company produces light and reliable spoons, the handle of which is turned into a tool. For example, a key for maintenance and repair of burners. Lovers of practicality will certainly appreciate this approach.
- Primus Spork. Tourists often try to reduce weight, the number of things and equipment to the maximum, which is reflected even on cutlery. This company took into account this trend and presented to customers a practical spoon-fork-knife. On one side of the handle is a full spoon, on the other is a fork. In this case, one tooth of the fork is a knife. It is hard to imagine a more thoughtful technology.
- Snow peak. The manufacturer also produces spoon trays, but only in a slightly different format. Scoop of a spoon is equipped with special slots, which replace the usual fork.
There are other good manufacturers of cutlery for tourists. Most often, forks and spoons or sets of these two items are sold separately. The knife is not always included in the kit, because most often the tourist already has a camping cutter. This item has a lot more requirements than a regular fork or spoon. Let us consider in more detail the features of choosing a tourist cutter.
Camping knife features
First of all, it is worth noting that not every knife can be so easily taken with you on a trip. After all, this is a real edged weapon. Of course, if you purchase such an item in a good tourist store, there is already a certificate for it confirming the safety of the product. If you got a knife from someone or you bought it elsewhere, make sure that it has a blade thickness of more than 5 mm and a length of not more than 9 cm.
Also remember that knives with a throwaway blade are considered edged weapons.
Tourist knives by type of construction are folding and full-sized. Most often, campers choose the first option, since it takes up less space and eliminates the risk of accidentally exposing the blade. However, the more complex the mechanism, the easier it is to break it. Therefore, carefully select folding blades.
Blades are most often made of two types of steel: stainless and carbon. The first material will definitely not rust, even with heavy use. However, it is not the easiest to sharpen and less durable than carbon steel. The minus of the latter is the susceptibility to corrosion.
Knives also differ in type of sharpening, size, hardness and thickness of the blade, the shape of the handle. For hiking, it is best to choose medium-sized universal knives that do not have any specific purpose.
There are several general recommendations for choosing appliances.
- Consider the specifics of the trip. If you are not going to big mountains or hiking "ultralight", it is not at all necessary to choose the most technologically advanced weightless objects. After all, the cost is quite high, and at an ordinary picnic, you definitely will not appreciate the charm of technology.
- Be mindful of the details. The fewer they are, the better. For example, a folding spoon breaks much faster than a full-size device made of the same material. Therefore, if it is not important for you to save a couple of centimeters in a backpack, you can not choose folding products.
- Look for a good store. Products of well-known manufacturers are often faked. Therefore, be sure to ask the seller for product certificates, especially knives. And of course, do not take seriously offers to buy an authentic Swiss knife for 300 rubles. A high quality product always has an appropriate value.
- Save wisely. If a minimum of things is necessary for the upcoming trip, then choose lightweight cutlery correctly. For example, do not buy too small or inconvenient folding devices, they will be less convenient to use.
Do not forget that the material of the product must be of high quality and not too cheap. With the right choice, a fork, spoon and knife for hiking will serve you for more than a dozen years.
For what kind of camping gear are there, see the next video.